Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Great Vengeance and Furious Gunfire


     The world has a finite number of dangers. This is still a pretty large number but in the greater scheme of things it is still finite. You know you’re not going to be eaten by a dragon although you could be eaten by crocodile and effectively it would be the same. No flying or fire breathing but being eaten by something large, reptilian, and filled with teeth is still happening. At some point you’re just splitting hairs. It’s the things you don’t see coming that get you. Within that finite number of dangers there is a small sample of which no one thinks about. I’m not talking about eating peanuts and dying from anaphylactic shock du to an allergy you didn’t know you had. I’m talking about being hit by a bullet from a rifle a hunter was using to kill a deer on a mountain. That bullet could arc in a wildly improbable parabola from where it missed the deer, went up over the mountain, and came back down into your backyard where you’re cooking hot dogs on a fifty dollar grill. Maximum range for a .50 caliber bullet is around 6,000 meters and practically there is no way that missed round is going the almost four miles of its effective maximum range. It would hit something, right?. But if you shoot that same bullet upwards at the aforementioned parabola and it doesn’t hit the deer, or the trees around the deer, or another hunter, or a rock, or some earth, then it could theoretically descend at double that range of nearly four miles into a range of nearly 8 miles and even with reduced speed from wind resistance, lodge itself through your eye and right into your brain.
     This places that bullet into that realm of unconsidered finite dangers that can, and most likely will, kill you. This is my story. This is how that bullet killed my friend. It wasn’t really a bullet although bullets are involved. Instead I found myself standing in the kitchen of Harald Peterbone and there was blood everywhere. I was holding a gun; it had blood on it too. Harald was dead and none of the blood on me was mine. The really weird part was none of the blood was his either. I swung open the revolver’s cylinder, counted the bullets, and decided that it was time to go kill someone who had it coming. So I picked up a bottle of apple juice and walked out the kitchen.

#

     I test apple juice for a company that makes apple juice and a variety of primarily apple juice drinks. About eight hours a day I take samples from various stages in the juice creation process and run it through a battery of tests to insure it is not becoming contaminated with microbes or fungus or what have you. Every day I walk through the same set of double doors, past Susie Beck’s desk where she says good morning and I say good morning back while trying to look down her blouse. I walk down a hallway that is so white if it’s a really sunny day it hurts to look at the walls and then I go into the lab where I work with four others. Harald Peterbone, Andrea Wilson, David Hines, William Blakestaff, and myself all spend our time around three long lab benches and two hoods with bunches and bunches of apple juice.
     We never drink any of it. The company policy is no free juice of course which is a good idea but if you’re a lab tech whose job is to find what is wrong with a food product you really never want to touch that food product because in general you know what a screw  up your co-workers are. I know that William does not wash his hands after he goes to the bathroom. I know that Andrea doesn’t do a good job covering her mouth when she sneezes. This isn’t a danger for the people buying the juice since our samples do not go back into the production line but it is a huge danger for the people in that laboratory as you couldn’t count on one of them not to pollute your honey bun or coffee.
     Two weeks ago on Friday Harald and I were talking in the break room over lunch. Harald was excited about his amateur astronomy hobby and while I generally have no idea what he is talking about I could intellectually grasp the significance of his discussions and he liked having someone to talk to. He was also a huge “believer” and it tinted his view of the cosmos slightly. While most people will at least concede the possibility of life elsewhere in the larger universe Harald is pretty sure it is strange and out right beyond our understanding.
     So he is talking to me about an alignment between Mars and Venus or something like that coming up in a couple of weeks and how he thinks it is just like in one of the “big ones” which is to say a historical event that will change the world as we know it even if we aren’t aware of the change afterwards. As Harald is talking William walks up and starts listening. It has always struck me as odd how someone can walk into a conversation and become a participant listener like plugging a toaster into a wall outlet. So as Harald goes on about the juxtaposition or alignment William begins to smirk and eventually moves into full on mockery making fun of Harald. You wouldn’t think such middle school behavior would happen in what should be a professional scientific setting but the truth is some people never grow up.
     Eventually Harald got tired of it and went back to work flipping off William on the way. William looked over to me and smiled triumphantly. “Why you gotta be a dick?” I shot at him.
     “Harald’s an idiot. I love busting idiots.”
     “Harald is smarter than you and he doesn’t fuck up the priority tests like you do.”
     “Whatever. Look, if you believe in that outer space crapola then you are as dumb as he is.”
     “Any educated individual will concede the possibility of life on other planets.”
     “Sure, sure, but not that crazy ass tentacle grabbing stuff Harald thinks is out there.”
     “Seriously you can look at the sea life on this planet and not consider the possibility intelligent life might not look pretty freaking weird?” He just shrugged and I shook my head and got up to go back to the lab.
     In the lab Harald was pretty disturbed. He had endured a lot of bullying from William, and probably in his life in general, so he usually weathered it well but this time he was pretty upset. I moved my test batch over to his side, “You okay man? You look pretty upset.”
     “Ah, I don’t know I guess I am just getting tired of morons like William. They are everywhere! I don’t talk about my ideas much because even the scientific community is filled with assholes but seriously you can’t even get gas anymore without running into a couple of them.”
     “I know what you mean man. Just the other day…”
     “No listen, really. I know you don’t believe this kind of scientific insight into life on other planets. I’m not really sure why I believe it other than all my consideration on this topic is built from very clear logic. But you have the intellect to realize that you don’t have to agree to have a discussion. You can talk to me and I can talk to you and you don’t feel a need to show me I’m wrong or show me you’re right. To me that is what intellect is.”
     I nodded; it was a bit awkward with him spelling out how clearly I didn’t agree with what he thought but at that point I really didn’t want to placate him. He was very worked up. We finished our work day, he calmed down eventually and we got through a lot of apple juice and didn’t find anything wrong with them, then we went home.

#

     It was four o’clock in the morning that night when someone was pounding on my apartment door. I stumbled out of bed and negotiated my mostly empty apartment to the front door. I tried to look out the peep hole but was too sleepy and honestly may not have even had my eye open so instead I just jerked the door open. I must have jerked it hard because Harald was on the other side and he jumped like I had swung at him.
     “Geesh! You scared the hell out of me.”
     “How’d you get up here?”
     “The stairs, why?”
     “No Harald. I mean how you got into my apartment.”
     “I’m not in your apartment man. Are you feeling okay?”
     “Harald, what the hell! I live in a locked apartment building!”
     “The door is busted off its hinges; I thought it had been like that for a long time. Can I come in, it’s cold out here.”
     I waved my arm for him to come in but I was irritated. It was late, or early, and we both had work in about three hours. My mind started to wonder to the apartment door, why was it off the hinges?
     “Okay so I had a dream just a while ago and I had to tell someone.”
     “This is all about a dream? Harald it’s…”
     “Four o’clock in the morning, I know. Anyway I had a dream that felt more like a communication than dream. There were these extra-terrestrial beings that looked like something between a squid and John Madden and they were holding what I am pretty sure was a book although it didn’t look like a book really. They said something to me but I totally didn’t understand it which isn’t a surprise since their mouths looked like…well I don’t know what. Anyway this is where it gets weird. They pulled a piece of chalk out of a desk drawer and started drawing on the floor and they drew our solar system right? Well then they began to draw the upcoming juxtaposition and sure enough they drew arrows pointing at the earth!”
     He stopped and looked at me frantically. I could see he was searching my eyes for validation and his own mind for anything he had forgotten about the dream. We paused, looked at each other, then he walked over to my couch and sat down. That is when I noted he had drug mud into my carpet on the bottom of his shoes. It was extremely nasty looking mud, dark and watery more like oil than anything.
     “Damn it Harald, you could have wiped your feet.”
     “I didn’t step in anything. That’s not right, this wasn’t a dream. I don’t feel so good.” He lifted up his foot to look at the bottom and suddenly retched turning his head to the side to throw up on the other half of my couch. The smell of alcohol was so strong it nearly knocked me over.
     “OH COME ON!” I bellowed furious, I was sure he was drunk now and I was seriously thinking about hitting him. Then the smell of the mud hit me and I retched also but I’m not so quick to respond as Harald and I threw up all over my floor, and my table, and my TV as I tried to find someplace to face.
     “Oh geesh Harald, what is that? What did you step in?” He had jerked off his shoes and tossed them at my front door, they hit it with a wet thud and one stuck for a part of a second before dropping onto the floor. I felt so sick, the sickest I’d felt since college and something started creeping into my mind.
     “Oh man, oh man I think that’s blood.” Harald was standing beside me now looking towards his shoes. Looking over the foot prints that led from the door to the couch where he sat just a few seconds ago. “What is it? What did I step in?” I suddenly had thoughts that he hit someone and they were hanging off his hood.
     Just then I realized that he had said the door to my apartment building was off the hinges. He thought it had been like that a long time. I went to the door and out into the hall being careful to avoid the shoes and hold my nose.
     In the hall the foot prints led us to the stairs that went down three flights to the ground floor and to the front door of the apartment building. It was leaning against the wall, torn off its hinges and the wood of the door frame was splintered. In the center of the door was a big red splat that was dripping down onto the floor. The foot prints went right out the door into the parking lot beyond and from that lot lights shone in through the open doorway. I thought Harald had left his car lights on.
     We carefully moved out into the parking lot to follow the trail of foot prints and got about ten feet before we were both stopped dead in our tracks. In the middle of the lot, among the Toyotas and Fords was an honest to goodness flying saucer. It was sitting on the blacktop on four sturdy looking legs with no lights or shimmering present except a single strong beam shinning directly at the door to my apartment building. I did what any self-respecting man of science would do under such a circumstance; I started searching for my cell phone to take a picture. I wasn’t wearing pants though so I didn’t have my cell phone and Harald was so completely lost to me even if he had a cell phone on him I would have had to wrestle it from his pocket.
     “Oh man… oh man I think I’m remembering now. What the heck man, I must have had way too much between here and there.” Harald slapped his fore head then winced hard from the impact.
     “Do you got your cell Harald?” I started patting his pockets as he shook his head and realized he had several patches of the same red blood like substance on his pants and the shirt under his jacket, but not on his jacket.
     I turned around to go get a camera or something from my apartment to record this event and behind me was the equivalent of a nightmare. A large jar filled with brown liquid with a brain floating in it stood on a bundle of dry squid tentacles. The top was open and sloshing everywhere and the brain had eyes on the ends of very short stalks. As I looked on and horror slowly overcame me I realized the tentacles came out of a rubber boot in the bottom of the jar and directly connected to the brain. Which I look back now and realize really wasn’t a brain that was just what it looked like to me. I could have used walnut as a descriptor too I guess.
     The brain in a jar stumbled and lurched at me swaying side to side sloshing its contents all over the place. I began to cringe away shaking and backed right into Harald who just turned to look at me with such a look of deep emotional confusion that I thought he might have a stroke. Then he said “Dude, I think I drove that here.” Right then a tentacle wrapped itself around my wrist and I went absolutely bazoo. I screamed and danced around waving my arms. The brain jar was jerked around with me and fell over spilling out almost all the liquid before it righted itself again.
     The brain jar leaned against a parked Aveo using one of its tentacles like an arm and the brain spun to face me. Then shockingly it called me an asshole. Well it sounded like that and I can only be sure of that now because of what happened. But at the time I wasn’t sure because I didn’t see a mouth and it was very garbled but it certainly sounded like that at the time. The brain jar stumbled and began to fall then righted itself again then fixed me with its gaze.
     I was immediately struck with the thought that it would use some kind of psychic power to dominate me or destroy my mind instead it spoken again as clear as a bell ringing on a quiet night. It said “I’m too drunk for this.” And it spun on its tentacles and shambled towards the flying saucer.
     Harald stepped up to me grabbed my head and said “I’m starting to remember.” He walked towards the saucer and grabbed the jar around its middle lifting the brain thing and continued to head forward. He looked over his shoulder and shouted “Come on man, you have got to see this!”
     I thought what the hell tonight was already as weird as it was going to get. You know I was wrong right?

#

     So Harald apparently did know what the saucer was because he had the equivalent of a keyless starter in his pocket that looked like a dull silver mini remote control. He used it to open a door in the side which unfolded as a set of stairs. It was so predictable that I almost laughed. Inside was a large room that was almost the entire inside of the saucer and a control panel that went almost the entire circumference. There were also several stool-looking chairs with a single small wheel under them on a post that kept them upright and balanced. You could move on them smoothly without tipping over, it was the most fun I had in years sitting on one of those.
     I felt like I was sitting in a space ship that was on the cover of a pulp sci-fi magazine. Lights bleeped off and on in different colors, there were warbley sounds and humming noises and the occasional muffled beep. A part of me still thinks it was all a dumb B-movie set up even after everything that happened.
     Harald helped the brain jar into the flying saucer and then over to a hidden elevator that took them down into the bottom of the ship. I just sat there. I didn’t know what else to do. The door was still open and I thought maybe someone else was supposed to come in or maybe someone else would notice the saucer in the parking lot. As I sat there I could hear Harald and the brain jar fumbling around, I heard someone cuss, I heard splashing, and eventually I heard the elevator coming back up. I can’t tell you why I was so calm but it just seemed like at some point you just have to go with the flow.
     As the elevator was rising I recalled in a flash the bloody foot prints we had been following from my apartment. I looked over and Harald stepped off the platform before it was finished setting into the floor and he walked over to the controls by me and started pressing buttons. “Do you know what you’re doing?”
     “Mostly.” He looked over and grinned at me. “Well, not like I have had a lot of training but they are kind of logically laid out once you understand the logic.” The door slid closed and my heart jumped. Harald hit some more buttons and pulled some levers and the outside of the saucer flashed to life. Light vibrated out from the edges of the saucer and shifted cars in the parking lot as it did so.
     “Mkay I think I got this.” Harald was pulling more levers and smashing more buttons then suddenly I could feel the lift from beneath and with that the sky filtered down to fill the window that ran the entire circumference of the craft.

#

     I threw the empty juice bottle at the door as I walked up. I knew it wouldn’t do anything, not even create enough of a bump to be heard inside but I was still livid and it felt good to throw something. Plus I didn’t want to waste my bullets on the door. I twisted the door handle and went in then started looking around for the telescope. All I could think was that I was going to kill the bastard that killed Harald and I knew I could get him through the telescope. Now if I could just find which room the telescope was in.
     Stumbling from room to room slipping on bloody spots and almost busting my face on a chair when I fell eventually I realized the telescope was probably in the attic. I was wrong though and spent a good hour trying to get into the attic. When I finally got into the attic and tore up my shins doing it all I found was an empty attic. There wasn’t even any insulation which I thought was very irresponsible of Harald and then immediately felt bad for thinking that.
     It turned out the telescope was in the back yard and this was because it was a huge sucker. Nothing like I got as a kid from Radio Shack much more like something you would mistake for a hot water heater he had set in his back yard. In fact I realized as I saw it I had just been sitting against it.
     I fidgeted with it for a few minutes before I finally figured out how it would work then I checked the cylinder in the revolver again.

#

     Harald looked out the window and by looked out the window I mean he ran from one side of the control room to the other to look around. “This sucks. I don’t have omnivision like them so I feel like I can’t tell where I’m going.”
     I got up and started walking around looking out the window and I couldn’t really see anything. I made an observation saying such to Harald and he said, “Look up at the top of the window. It’s refractive.” So I did and immediately I could see what felt like straight down around the saucer all the way down to the ground. If he hadn’t told me I wouldn’t have known because it wasn’t clear unless you were looking right at it. I wowed appropriately.
     “Why are you worried, there is nothing to run into up here?” It began to bother me how easily I was settling into this extremely strange situation.
     “I’m trying to find my house.” He rushed to the other side of the saucer. “Damn it missed it. Hold on.” He gave the implication that we would be making a very sharp turn and even jerked a couple of the controls but I felt no change in the direction of the saucer, actually I felt no inertial movement at all.
     From below I heard something yelling with the unclear vocalization of the drunk and the only word I could make out was corndogs which seemed completely normal in the context I existed in at that moment. We landed and when I looked out the window we were neatly in Harald’s back yard. He opened the door and went down the ramp tossing the futuristic fob onto the controls before leaving. I followed him out into his back yard and towards the back door where he had already gone into the house. Before I got there he came back out with two beers.
     “Here, you’re going to need this.” He handed me a beer.
     “You think I’m going to need it now?” I still opened it and took a long drink. It was warm but I didn’t care. “I just rode in a spaceship with a brain in a jar.”
     “A drunk brain in a jar. I thought of the name Francis but that’s not it really but when we met that was the name my brain came up with and I thought maybe it was telepathy.”
     “What is it?”
     “What’s what?” Harald looked around startled.
     “No, what’s his real name?”
     “Oh, it’s McCoy. Dumb I know.”
     “McCoy? Sure why the hell not.”
     “Okay,so, remember the Wilfred Brimley looking aliens I mentioned like a million years ago?”
     “Sure except you said John Madden.”
     “What? No I didn’t.”
     “Yes, yes you did, John Madden.” I took a drink of my beer and pointed the bottle at him like I just made a point. He shook his head as if to clear it and took a drink of his own beer.
     “Anyway, McCoy picked up their transmission and got curious. Some kind of a space adventurer you might say and McCoy is always looking for curious things to get stuck into. Well looking into the transmissions he figured out what they wanted to do with the apple juice and to me and came to warn me.”
     I felt I was losing my balance again so I sat down on a large garden gnome. “Apple juice?”
     “Yeah so McCoy came and told me and at first I was all freaked out right? I mean there was a suit and not a jar then but it was still pretty freaky. That suit is almost dead on Gort from The Day the Earth Stood Still so I wasn’t sure if I was going crazy or dreaming. But after I stopped screaming and everything was spelled out I started rooting in the fridge for beer which is why I’m all out of cold ones. That’s when we decided to hit a drive through…”
     “Wait wait wait wait wait…, wait.” He stopped and let me gather my thoughts. “What transmissions? What about the apple juice? Our apple juice?”
     “Yeah our apple juice.” He emptied the bottle then tossed it behind him into the trash can without looking. “The transmissions were how they were crossing over to our side and McCoy found out because she tracked one and saw him try to control my brain.”
     “What the hell Harald?” At this point I was completely back the other direction. Flying saucers and brains in jars were now solidly back in the realm of the ridiculous. “Come on!”
     “Dude you just rode in a flying saucer, the fact that aliens from another dimension were trying to control my brain is so out there?”
     “Your brain though! Why your brain?”
     “What the fuck man, what’s wrong with my brain?”
     “Nothing but you’re not a president or a king or anything so why would they choose you over any person with power?”
     “Because of the apple juice. You can be an asshole you know that?”
     “That’s what the brain in the jar said. So what about apple juice? It’s just apple juice!”
     “That is how they are controlling our minds. Or want to control our minds at least.”
     “What the hell? No one is controlling our minds through apple juice!”
     “Yes they are! Well no they aren’t but they are trying to do it!”
     We had moved to the point we were yelling at each other with hands in severe motion to exclaim our points. Suddenly it hit us what we were doing and we both sat down again quiet. I looked Harald in the eyes while he looked away towards the saucer. “Look man, I just don’t understand all this. You obviously do but at this point I am feeling more like someone slipped a blotter of acid under my pillow.”
     He stood up and looked towards the sun rise that was starting to form and then looked back at the saucer. “I hope McCoy isn’t too drunk to drive.” I looked over my shoulder and the saucer lit up. Clearly we could see someone through the window I can only assume was McCoy flipping me the bird. Must have put on the brain suit because now there was the equivalent of a silver bio-hazard suit waving out the window to us. “That’s him?”
     “Yup.”
     “So how did he get his brain from the jar to the suit? Is the suit a robot?”
     “Why do you think it’s a he? McCoy’s female. Came on to me pretty hard too when drunk. Plus it’s not a brain only looks like one.”
     “You are shitting me.”
     “No really it’s not a brain the jar was filled with beer. The way they drink is by absorbing it through pores. They’ve developed equipment to their physiognomy since they always did it that way and soaking in a beer is a good way to go about it.”
     “But what about the juice, and now that I think about it why was McCoy flipping us off? Wait! So that jar is like a huge beer mug?”
     “I told her that was how you say goodbye in our culture.” He looked at me dead serious, then grinned just a little and we both laughed hysterically as we turned around and flipped off McCoy on her exit from the planet. As we watched the saucer lift off, move into the atmosphere and fade into the distance Harald began a more coherent outline of the situation.
     “Yeah, it’s a wearable beer mug which is just totally awesome. Anyway, the alter dimensionals are trying to control us through putting nano-bots into our apple juice. They aren’t the same as us, just really close to us, and when they look from their side to our side it is like looking through a funnel. They only get part of the picture and for some reason they got it in their head that we drink a lot of apple juice and our testing facility was a primary source. Who knows how they got that with five lab workers and two hoods but whatever. So McCoy pointed out the jump and helped me catch the interloper and interrogate him. Turns out they were also trying to control my mind by slipping something into my food that would make me susceptible to their more developed psychic powers.”
     “Wait, they were poisoning the juice we test and they were drugging your food? Why do both?”
     “No, they weren’t doing anything to the juice yet. I was supposed to drug the juice. They were drugging my food to take control of me so they could make me drug the juice.”
     “That seems unnecessarily complicated. Did you?”
     “No. McCoy stopped them before they got either enough of the drug in my system or the right drug in me. Who knows what they could have done.”
     “They would have drugged, like, twenty five thousand people. That’s it.”
     “Whatever! Look man I got him in the kitchen. Come check him out and I’ll tell you about the drive through. You won’t believe that story at all.” He turned and started walking towards the back door when the alter dimensional mind controller stepped out. We both froze eyes white and wide and chin on our chests. He was terrible looking, a man without skin all bare muscles and cartilage with blood weeping from a variety of crevices. It was clearly male and the sight of it’s skinned gender made me turn and wretch the beer I just drank.
     When I finally looked up Harald’s hands were gripping his head and he was shaking. The alien was leaning forward, wide eyed, and intense and I could almost feel whatever was happening between the two of them. I started to jump for the alien when Harald suddenly screamed. The alien turned and ran, slipping in its blood, and burst through the door and into the house. Harald stumbled forward and I ran over to him to help him into the house.
     He kept screaming and screaming and stumbling around. As I got him into the kitchen I saw it was covered in blood and there was a chair on the floor and a gun on the counter. Just as I took this all in Harald screamed again so loud I felt it would burst my ear drums.
     Then he died of an aneurism.

#

     I thought for sure going through the telescope jump would feel like something but it felt like nothing at all. One moment I was standing in Harald’s back yard and the next I am in a really weird laboratory looking at two people I would have called human if I didn’t know better. And I’d swear it was Wilfred Brimley and John Madden. I pointed the revolver at them and stated my claim, “Okay you stupid bastards who of you killed Harald?”
     They looked at each other then back at me, then at each other again. Both were wearing dark blue long coats and light blue over-alls under the coats. The lab around them was something like a pastel version of my own world except all angles where it should have been curvy and curvy where it should have been angles. I probably could have brought some apple juice samples to test and found everything I needed here. As that thought crossed my mind I could see a bottle of the apple juice behind them.
     “Well!” I shook the gun at them to make my point. I don’t know if they understood that the point was I’d shoot them both if I didn’t get an answer, but I didn’t care.
     “Uh, well, wow.” Said Wildfred Brimley.
     “Is that what I look like when I go through the guide tunnel?!” John Madden turned at looked at Wilfred and got a shrug in response.
     “You know skin doesn’t go through Ikskil, this wasn’t a secret.”
     “What the fuck are you talking about!?” I was starting to get sick, I wasn’t sure why but I could feel it coming on. They were looking at me again and I could tell they were trying to make a plan. “Okay so Ikskil is it? Well guess what you asshole. You killed Harald, and that gets you killed.” I pointed the gun at him and as I extended my arm I could see it was nothing but a mess of muscle and blood. I had no skin.
     I completely lost what little cool I had and started dry heaving while trying to point the gun at them. They reacted immediately taking advantage of my weakness and rushed me. I shot twice but didn’t hit them although I did blow the bottle of juice to hell. It is remarkably hard to shoot someone with a pistol when you’re nervous. If you factor in retching and then being charged by aliens I’m lucky I didn’t shoot myself.
     A struggle between me and the two of them ensued and quickly resolved itself. Without skin I was hard to hold as the seeping blood made me slick and my adrenaline let me pull away and around easily. Wilfred Brimley threw himself at me again and my gun pressed into his chest when I pulled the trigger. The bullet went through him and hit a large glass container which shattered and the fumes from the liquid inside caused Ikskil to pass out. Without thinking any further I pointed the gun at him and shot him through the chest as well.
     Then I waited for the fumes to overwhelm me, but they didn’t and the fumes smelled like lilacs. I turned back to what they called the guide tunnel and found a telescope just like Harald’s, it might have been his even and maybe he was using theirs. I stepped up and did my thing then didn’t feel the universe shift around me.

#

     Harald’s death was ruled natural, if extremely weird. The blood all over the kitchen caused a serious investigation and I was questioned but as there was no body and no reported missing people so nothing happened. My prints were at his house but as we were friends nothing odd was seen in them.
     I was given a few days off from the lab to get over the loss. I know really it was because I was in the investigation and they wanted to distance themselves from me in case if I was brought up on charges.
     When I went back to work they looked at me funny. William didn’t even look at me. Susie wouldn’t say good morning anymore and I really had no interest in looking down her shirt. I just watched though. I looked to see if anyone started acting funny or if anyone had some strange chemicals at their work stations.
     I had stolen Harald’s telescope. When the police asked about it being in my apartment I explained that he had lent it to me to try to get me into his astronomy hobby. I had hope that it was the only way in between and so I put it in a closet and locked the door.
     Yesterday I noticed something strange sticking out of Andrea’s purse. It was a test tube, but instead of curvy it was square and just didn’t seem right.
     Hope McCoy is watching. I may need some help.
    

     

No comments:

Post a Comment